The Legal Services Plan offers you legal services you may need for real estate transactions, name changes, document reviews, wills and other legal matters. The Plan provides high-quality legal advice, counseling and representation. Whatever you discuss with your lawyer will be held in strict confidence. This benefit is based on contributions made on your behalf by your employer. These services are provided only in the states of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania. All benefits are considered taxable income to the eligible participant and the Plan will report the value of the benefit to the IRS on a W-2 form.
Below are the Legal Services Plan highlights. Complete details are available in the Summary Plan Description.
To be eligible for the legal services provided by this Plan, you must be:
- An active member of Local Union No. 3 who:
A. is currently employed or has been employed, in a classification covered under the Plan and whose Employer is/was required to contribute to this Plan, or has been employed and available for employment in accordance with the rules of the Plan: and
B. has been so employed or available for employment for at least the four consecutive years immediately prior to seeking the benefits provided by this Plan
- Effective January 1, 2017, a retired Participant who has retired on a Standard, Early Standard or Disability Pension from the Pension Trust Fund and who was covered by the Plan immediately prior to his/her retirement
- The spouse of an individual eligible under paragraph A or B who is living with and is not legally or in fact separated or divorced from the eligible Employee or Retiree.
Your eligibility to receive benefits provided by this Plan ends if:
- You are no longer employed or available for employment by a contributing employer
- A particular benefit is discontinued by the Plan
- The Plan is terminated
- The Trustees determine that you have engaged in conduct which warrants termination of benefits
You’ll receive high-quality legal services. The following is a sample of the legal services offered by the Plan, as long as they do not arise out of business or commercial ventures:
- Real estate matters
- Landlord – tenant matters
- Document review
- Name change
- Elder law
- Estate planning
- Trusts (up to $2500/once per life time)
For specific information and a complete list of legal services provided by the Plan, see the Summary Plan Description. The value of these benefits is considered taxable income for you, and will be reported to the IRS by the Plan Administrator accordingly.
Legal services will not be provided for:
- Matters arising from commercial or business ventures
- Matters arising out of tax issues
- Matters in the nature of a class action
- Defense of civil matters not expressly covered by the Plan
- Matters arising out of ownership or use of a vehicle
- Any matters arising out of claims against the Plan Administrator, the Trustees, JIB, or any of its related organizations
In addition, the Plan does not pay for any disbursements, expenses, or filing fees incurred with performance of the legal services provided.
To obtain legal services provided by the Plan, contact the Legal Services Plan office at JIB at (718) 591-2000, Extension 1397. At that time, it will be determined if you are eligible, and whether the services you require are covered by the Plan.
Plan Name: Legal Services Plan of the Electrical Industry
Plan Identification Number: 13-0891035
Plan Number: 509
Plan Year: October 1 through September 30
Type of Plan: The Plan is an employee benefit plan under which participants are covered for certain legal services.
Plan Administrator: Joint Industry Board of the Electrical Industry